The Zimbabwe Christian Alliance welcomes with cautious optimism the finalisation of the SADC led talks which opens the way to the implementation of the Global Political Agreement and the formation of a Government of National Unity.
We realise that this is not a triumph of African solutions and principles but a reproach because it indicates that the voice of the people as stated democratically through the ballot box in March 2008 has not been recognised or respected.
It is our sincere hope and prayer, however, that God Almighty will intervene and this transitional arrangement will lead to real democracy and consequently to justice, reconciliation, peace and prosperity to our troubled land. At present the people of Zimbabwe are rather suspicious and anxious. They need confidence building measures to be put in place to indicate sincerity and the political will to transform the country.
We as representatives of the Christian constituency are anxious to see that this agreement works. The people of Zimbabwe have suffered enough. We would, therefore, like to see a number of actions by the inclusive government to prove that they hold the welfare and the interests of the people of Zimbabwe above their own political power
1. We would like to see the rule of law established in the country immediately and all political prisoners released forthwith
2. Measures be taken to reform arms of government to be apolitical in their delivery of services
3. That the NGO’s be free to distribute food and other commodities without interference from government.
4. That the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe returns to its original mandate of keeping the resources and distributing them as directed by the government instead of meddling in politics and serving partisan interests.
5. That the framework of issues of transitional justice and reconciliation be worked out together with the Church to heal the cancer at the heart of the Nation.
6. The constitutional reform process is commenced as per schedule contained in Amendment 19 and that the process will allow the people of Zimbabwe to contribute meaningfully to the constitution making process
INSERTED BY ZIMBABWE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
FOR MORE DETAILS CONTACT
REV. USENI SIBANDA